Save Our Water ‘Kicks-off’ Partnership with Sacramento Republic FC to Preserve Trees During Extreme Drought
Published: 5 July 2022
Sacramento Republic FC is taking the pitch in their new City of Trees kit (jersey) this summer to remind the community of the importance of preserving our vital urban canopy as we head into the hottest and driest months of the year amid extreme drought.
Trees throughout the state need extra care to sustain the vital benefits they provide such as cooling and cleaning the air and water; shading homes, walkways and recreation areas; and protecting public health.
As part of the partnership with Save Our Water, the new kit debuted on June 18 and will be worn for seven matches to highlight the need to keep our city trees healthy and hydrated while still conserving water.
“The City of Trees Kit is a homage to the natural wonders that make Sacramento and Northern California a special place to live, work and play,” said Scott Moak, vice president of community investment for Republic FC.
Together, we can all take simple steps for proper drought tree care this summer:
- Deeply and slowly water mature trees one to two times per month with a simple soaker hose or drip system placed under the edge of the tree canopy – NOT at the base of the tree. Use a hose faucet timer (found at hardware stores) to prevent overwatering.
- Young trees need 5 gallons of water –two to four times per week. Create a small watering basin with a berm or rounded mound of dirt.
- Shower with a bucket and use that water for your trees, as long as it is free of
non-biodegradable soaps or shampoos.
- Be careful to not over-prune trees during drought. Too much pruning and drought both stress your trees.
- Mulch, Mulch, MULCH! –Four to six inches of mulch helps retain moisture, which reduces water needs and protects your trees.
Image Caption: Sacramento Republic FC's Rafael Jauregui celebrates on the field wearing the new City of Trees jersey. (Photo Credit: Sacramento Republic FC)
Keep an eye out this season as Save Our Water and Republic FC continue promoting the importance of the “City of Trees” with actionable tips and resources on how we all can take steps to conserve water and care for our trees during drought.
Learn more about outdoor water conservation and water-wise tree care at SaveOurWater.com.